Let’s talk money! Seriously, I’ve created this blog to make some sense out of dollars and cents (I know, I know, cliché). I am a strong believer in the concept of paying CASH for things (don’t give me that dirty look….it can happen! I swear…. I do it all the time) and living below your means. I know this society will jump in front of a moving train to protect their standing with American Express all in the name of redeeming travel rewards…oh yea… and maintaining a certain credit score. This blog is about learning the word “NO” when it comes to borrowing money. I’m not perfect and have made some really STUPID financial mistakes in life. But I’ve gotten in the habit of learning from my mistakes and doing something about it. I’m ready to become a lender (or better yet, a giver) and NOT remain a borrower. What about you??
Over the years my passion on this subject has grown TREMENDOUSLY. It stems from my college days when I racked up A LOT of debt. Like most students, I took out a lot of student loans and was always waiting for my next refund check (you’re shaking your head ‘cause you were waiting with me!). I opened up credit cards and when the bill came at the end of the month, I threw the bill aside and paid it no attention. Sometimes I paid and sometimes I didn’t. At the time I thought, “who cares, Macy’s has a sale this weekend and I need to be front and center!”
Now, 10 years later, I’m paying the price for all of my mistakes (and believe me, there were PLENTY!!). Because of the setbacks I’ve had in life and the things I’ve seen other people go through, my views may be a little radical…but they make sense!!!!!
- First, I don’t believe in credit cards… not even for the “just in case” scenarios or even emergencies. You should have an EMERGENCY fund in place
- Yes, you can rent cars using a debit card so STOP using that excuse. I know you can because I do it ALL the time.
- I believe you can pay EVERYTHING you need in cash (um, yea, even the car). No seriously I do!
- Here’s an even bigger one….I believe you can pay cash for your HOUSE!!! I’m talking no mortgage payments!!!!!!!!!!
- I believe credit is for borrowers. And since I don’t want to be a borrower, my credit score isn’t my focus…I’d prefer it to be at zero!!!!!!! (got that from Dave Ramsey…someone I’ve learned a lot from).
- I believe if it’s the normal thing to do, then I don’t need to do it. As Dave Ramsey says, “normal people are broke”.
- I believe the borrower is a slave to the lender (that’s the Bible speaking, not me!)
- I TRULY believe you will never reach a goal without a plan. In finance talk the plan is called a BUDGET.
- Finally, I believe with the right tools, you can begin to make your money work for you, and you work less for your money.
Throughout my blogs I will go in greater detail on various subjects concerning personal finance. I hope from these you will gain more knowledge and understanding on how to make your money work. Stop stressing over money. It’s not the way God intended. I’m excited to have this up and in full force. Please feel free to make comments or suggestions. LET’S GET IT!!